Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More sun, more fun . . .

Boy howdie was it a busy weekend!  To make it short - between Ezra and Judah they swam 12 events and I don't even think I can calculate the number of laps.  Ez got first place in 5 events and second place in 2 events.  Judah got second in two events and, well, he didn't do too well in the 50 breaststroke, but hey, after not swimming at all since March, I'd say going to state in two events is pretty great.  The weather was hot, the pool was cold and it was a long but fun weekend.   Thank God for cold fruit smoothies!

I don't know about you, and even though I love to swim, I could never do what these guys do everyday.  I still say it is the hardest sport on the planet.  I mean, have you ever tried doing the butterfly stroke?  Seriously.  I wonder if the arms and legs were actually meant to move that way?  Who invented that stroke anyway?  Did you ever think about that?   "MMM - let's see.  Freestyle and backstroke, too easy.  How can I make it as difficult to move through the water as I can?  Arms circling around to the side, legs together flipping like a dolphin, and oh, yeah, you have to breathe in there somewhere . . .  That's it!  And I'll call it the Butterfly!!  Come on!  Everybody try it now!  It's fun!  It's exciting!  Great for the whole family!"  No -more like - it's impossible.  I like the new slogan for our team:  Swimming is a mental sport . . . and we are all insane!  Amen to that.      

Yesterday Judah played in a golf tournament and the wind was blowing at least 30 mph.  It was a long course with lots of water and, well, let's just say he didn't play his best.  But then, neither did anyone else, so he ended up getting first place.  Good thing they don't etch the scores onto the trophies!  Golf, what a fluky, frustrating game.

Last full week of practice for both swimming and golf.  So, these two little boys are gearing up to get ready and consequently eating us out of house and home.  And not to be left out, Noah and India have to join them.  You, know, for moral support.  So the food bill goes up exponentially.  It's worse than my excuse when I was pregnant and insisting that eating 3 bean burritos, a side of Mexican potatoes, and the entire quart of Bryer's ice cream was absolutely necessary because, well, I was eating for 2, you know.  No, more like I was eating for 6.  But, that didn't stop me, and it's certainly not stopping these children.  Good thing they are working it all off, or we'd be in even bigger trouble.

Well, have a great week everyone and let me know how that butterfly stroke is working out for you  . . .

Shalom,
jill and all

 

No comments:

Post a Comment