Sunday, February 6, 2011

The sand was black . . .

Oh.  My.  Goodness.   Gary and I just spent a week in the beautiful country of Costa Rica.  I know - Costa Rica's not exactly your typical paradise vacation destination like Cancun or Jamaica, but it was everything I thought a tropic holiday would be like, and so very much more.  Why Costa Rica?  Well, partly because this was a really great tour I have wanted to go on for some time and partly because it was all inclusive - meaning no added fees.  Everything was a one lump payment, room, food, excursions, bus rides - everything.  And it was in the tropics - hot - sunny and safe.  So- what better way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary?  None.  It couldn't have been much better.  It was fabulous.  Stupendous.  A dream come true.  Everything about it - the sun, the sand, the temperature, the food, the people, the exchange rate . . .  Perfect.  Think I'm going a little bit overboard here?  Yeah, well, maybe I should get out more . . .

You get off the plane, in your cold weather clothes to this whoosh of hot tropic air.  Fantastic!  For me, this trip was the ultimate test of fearful survival.  I faced nearly every fear I have been harboring in my life.  The plane ride, zip line, snorkeling, the dead snake on the bus,  the scorpion in one of the guest rooms, and the ocean current - just to name a few.  I can not say I conquered any of them, but I did work through them without dying, fainting or throwing up.  Pretty big accomplishment in my book.

 The zip line was in the jungle, above the trees, 85 plus feet in the air.  To say I was scared would be a most severe understatement.  To my shame, I got stuck half way through the first section and had to be 'rescued' by a local.  The rest of the lines I rode tandem, because I was nearly hyperventilating.  And you know the cartoons with the knees knocking - mine really were.  If I couldn't see the ground, the ride was a blast.  I love the speed and the scenery, but when the trees broke away and I could see the river or dirt path below, I started to loose it all over again.  But - the last line I went by myself (really, I did) and actually liked it.  So there.  Would I do it again?  Um, maybe.  And that's a really big maybe.

The other highlight was the snorkeling.  Gary and I had never been, and that was utterly remarkable.  Indescribable.  The colors of the fish seemed like they would glow in the dark.  Vivid blues and yellows, and the variety.  Amazing.  Gary saw 2 octopus, and we saw many strange ocean creatures we had no idea what they were.  On the beach we saw hundreds of little baby hermit crabs.  So cute.  We also saw lots of monkeys,(spider, howler and white-faced) lizards, (including the really big male that sat on the steps to our room and wouldn't let us pass) really colorful birds, (cool way to wake up) and so much more.   To see God's creation up close, was so wonderful.  We were in awe.  I would go back in a heart beat.  You need to check out my daughter's photo blog to see the pics.  http://yakarphotography.blogspot.com/

For Gary and I, it was literally the first time we had ever been away from the children for a vacation.  When India and Noah were wee tots, we went overnight twice, a few hours away, but that has been it.  So, this was a tad bit out of my comfort zone.  But, I was surprisingly okay.  Really.  Ask Gary.  I was a bit stressed the first day, but island fever must have taken over and I was pretty relaxed for the rest of the week. Thank God for Skype!  Knowing that the kids were ok - even through three blizzards, hazardous driving conditions and 50 degree below zero temps - well, talking with them each night helped a lot.  They had fun, we had a spectacular time so all was grand.  Next time, and yes, there will be a next time, we'll take them with.  They would love it.  We did - for sure.

So we had a 130 degree temperature swing from there to here one day, and I for one, didn't want to leave.  I would have much rather had the kids sell everything, hop on a plane and we could just live out our days in the sun.  Yeah, I know - reality has a way of getting in the way of ideas like that.  But hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

So, now that we are back, (and we are glad to be back with the kids) we are trying to adjust.  And it's tough!  So, I am already plotting on a return trip.  And it must be soon.  Before it fades from my aging memory.
Besides, we have to let India meet her future husband that we found for her down there . . .  :)

Pura Vida!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Mrs. A, you are absolutely hilarious!! I would say I'd love to visit Costa Rica in February, but I've got bright, sunny, 60 degree weather here in NC, so I'm pretty content.
    Keep up the posts! They make me laugh every time!! :D

    ReplyDelete