Sunday, September 25, 2011

Run like the wind - or into it . . .

'You look like an Ethiopian', the cross country coach said to my eldest son.  Noah took that as a compliment and rightly so.  Long and lean (read - SKINNY) his body type does resemble those very thin marathon runners.  And he's living up to the type.  He continues to improve his time and moved up to the number 3 spot on the team.  His new 5K PR - 19:54 - so far. Not bad - for a skinny white guy.  :o
(Is it just me or do any of you ever wonder how those pencil stick-like legs can carry those guys so far and so fast? ) 

Well, it seems like the running bug has bitten a few other members of this family.  After running in the (gulp) Senior Games a few weeks ago (which, by the way, I had an absolute blast doing.  Hanging out with a gaggle of old fogies like me - barely able to bend over to tie their running shoes was super fun) there have been a series of races in the area that a couple of us decided to run.  With Gary out with a bad back/hip/leg, I roped India into running a 4K with me, which happened to land on probably one of the coldest and windiest days of the fall. (like nearly every other day in South Dakota)  All was well at first - running with the wind at our back pushing us along.  I thought, man, I could do this all day.  Then at the turn I hit the arctic blast that nearly knocked me over and I felt like I was on a treadmill.  But we trudged through - even though our legs and arms felt like icicles. Or could we even feel our legs . . . 

After we thawed out, India thought that was so much fun, (?!) she decided she wanted to run a 5K the next weekend - and roped me into it.  Turn about is fair play I guess.  But during the week, she was dancing and someone actually landed on top of her knee and tore her LCL!  Who knew dancing was a contact sport?!  Ouch - I know.  So, she wasn't up to running, but she went along anyway and kind of walked/jogged the course.  (Much against the physical therapist's advice)  It was a perfect day for a race.  51 degrees, sunny with a slight breeze.  Beautiful.  
You know what the greatest thing about these event is - the people you meet and the conversations that you have.  I love it.  (Of course, wearing those perfectly ugly 5 Finger toed running shoes is sure to garner a comment or two - and a few stares and sneers and giggles . . .)  
Side note - at this race I got my 'After Children and Now I'm Old - PR'  of 26:17.  So, that's okay too.  (For a senior citizen)

And Gary actually ran a few miles this week, so maybe he's up for a race or two now.  There's a 5k trail run this Sunday, and another 5K the following weekend.  I say - why not?   Add that to Noah's Conference, Region, and state (we hope and pray) cross country meets the next three weeks and  - wow. The miles are piling up.   

You could say we're runners - I'd say we're just - running amok . . . 
 
   




No comments:

Post a Comment