Monday, November 22, 2010

Are we there yet . . .

Okay, if you ever want to tour Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Mn - just ask India and I, because I think we saw it about 4 times this weekend.  From all sides.  See, we dropped the boys off at the Target Center to watch the Lakers beat the Timberwolves and we were going to go shopping.  But, between someone who is geographically challenged, map challenged and direction challenged - and one who can't see the road at night, we were lucky we didn't end up in Nebraska.  We were also lucky we didn't get killed!  We did start to worry and knew we took a wrong turn when we watched two guys cross the street, one of which pulled a gun out of his pocket and then stared at us.  YES!  A REAL GUN!    I KNOW!
I said, um, is that a gun?  No reply.  I was very thankful I was driving a 1 ton 4 wheel drive diesel pickup that sounds like an army tank, for they just watched us pass and, well, didn't shoot.  Yes.  Thank God.
We turned the corner, and another corner, and another, and then she speaks, Um, why is the city over there?  I looked, and sure enough, the city had moved and was on the wrong side of the lake.  Again.  I turned another corner and  there we were, crossing the freeway we had crossed 45 minutes before.  Before seeing the other side of the lake - twice - and before the guy with the gun.
I just gasped and thought, no, please, not again!
Just take this road here, she screams at me - because for the first time in her life, she knew where she was going, well, this time anyway, and we got to the mall just in time to almost turn right around to go back to pick up the guys.
And I don't think we bought a thing.  (Although it did cross my mind to look for a bullet proof vest - if they would sell such a thing at Southdale Mall)
Maybe we just shouldn't be let loose in the city.  Alone.  In the dark.  Without a very, very, VERY detailed map.  That or a 6 foot 8, 350 lb body guard named Mondo.  Or I guess we could just get a GPS . . .

Okay, so, we're back home, safe and sound, and did not get picked up for speeding once!  I have to tell you, it's hard going from a 70 mph speed limit in South Dakota down to 55.  It feels like you're crawling.  But I was good and obeyed the law.  Really.

Tonight it will get to 1 degree BELOW zero.  Yeah - tell me about it.  Hey. You think we enjoy this??  No - we do not.  We simply endure it and then complain about it!  It's a way of life up here.  It's in the genes.  We actually pass it down from generation to generation.  Just like the Israelites.
I will tell you though, it snowed today and they were those really huge puffy snow flakes you'd see in the movies.  They just floated down like feathers.  It was beautiful I have to admit.  But 3 inches is enough.  It could not snow for the rest of the winter and I don't think too many people would complain. (well - we just wouldn't complain about THAT)

Okay - enough.
So, if you ever get to Minneapolis and need  someone to show you around - um -well, maybe you better call a tourism operator . . .  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment