Thursday, December 16, 2010

Good old terra ferma . . .

Back on solid ground.  Yippee!  There is a reason they label freaks like us white-knuckle flyers.  The poor woman who sat beside me was getting a bit worried I was going to rip the arm rest right off the seat.  I didn't.  (Well, maybe just loosened it a tad)  It's one thing to go through the long lines, the searches, the security checks, the x-rays, the bad food, the long walk to the gate, the waiting, the bad food, the toxic fumes - and then to have to actually get inside this metal paper-towel tube filled with 50 strangers sitting shoulder to shoulder loaded with hundreds of gallons of gasoline hovering above the ground at 34,000 feet in the air and to be expected to 'sit back and enjoy your flight' - they've got to be kidding.
Did I mention I'm not a big fan of flying??

No. Carolina, however, was lovely.  The people, the food, the weather - nice mini-vacation.  India got to spend time with her college friends, which were a super bunch I must say, we got to square dance (sorry to the two guys who drew the short straw and had to dance with me - but thanks - it was great fun and you were very gracious about it), we hung out at the mall (I went to the wrong one and spent and hour getting lost), we toured the Billy Graham Library, and we ate well.  So all in all, it was a grand time and it was worth it.

The boys faired well while we were away.  Chef Noah made some awesome meals and has threatened to take over my job as head cook.  Rats.  Why couldn't he have mastered the fine art of proper toilet cleaning instead?  Now there's a job I wouldn't mind giving up.

We missed the big blizzard that shut down roads and airports and canceled events and closed shops.  I wasn't too sad about that, I can tell you.  It was nice to see holly trees/bushes, to walk on grass without Ugg boots and without having to buck 40 mph winds.   Um, why is it we live up here again . . .

Well, we do.  And we are back and back into the swing of things.  Noah has his first basketball game tomorrow (God willing), India started her new job, Noah's getting braces, and the swimming and dancing and shoveling and freezing continues.  But, we're all together and that's the most important thing.

So, even though it's 15 degrees and it's snowing - again - I'll take it.  It's better than hiding under the seats in an airplane.  Not that I actually did that of course.  Good grief.
Well, I might have thought about it for a second.  Or two.  Or ten . . .  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment