Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reflections . . .

Here it is, the day before the last day of the year.  Can you believe it?  Where has it gone?  It's been one of those years I am glad to have over, I have to say.  Milestones, like India turning 18, Ezra turning 13, the boys qualifying to go to the state swim meet, Noah finally growing into his big feet - those are fine.  But my sister's death, a flooded basement, a flooded yard, Gary's winged-out back, too many blizzards to count, too many times stuck in the snow or mud - those we could have done without.
BUT - even through all that - junk - God is still God and he knows what he's doing and everything is for a purpose - even if I have to reassure myself of that sometimes.  Cause when you're in the middle of it all - that's when it's the hardest.  When you come out of it and look back, it doesn't seem so bad.  Well, usually.  My sister's death - I'm still in denial about that . . .

And here I sit, typing away, looking out at what started the day as an ice storm, which has now blossomed into a full fledged blizzard, with 38 mile an hour winds, and blowing and drifting snow.  It's downright UGLY.  It wouldn't be so bad, if we were all home - safe and snug together in front of the fire - I'd say - bring it on!  But no, India is in town at work - which stinks.  So - as my aunt would say, "Gotta get the worry beads out."  See, back in the day, another aunt of mine would have a little stone she kept in her purse, and when she was worried or upset, she'd take it out and rub it.  Perhaps out of nervousness, perhaps because she was ubber superstitious, perhaps she was just a little strange - I'm not sure.  But the worry-bead aunt was (and is) much too sophisticated for a mere pebble in her purse.  No, she had to go all out and make it a decorative necklace with several beads to rub.  Talk about your worry!  Me -  I try not worry too much (quit laughing, children) - well - I try to turn it into trust.  Into our heavenly Father.  And just pray.  I said I try.  I didn't say I was very good at it.

But as for today - Noah was supposed to have a basketball game out of town.  Well, I'm waiting for the email stating the cancellation for that one any minute.  That's life here in the north.  Sure, we schedule our lives down to the hour, but there isn't a winter yet where a single schedule's ever been kept.  It's already been blown a few times this winter,  and it's not even January.

So - to occupy our time stuck in our little hovel - we have a whole host of things we like to do.  We eat, we play games, we eat, we read, we eat, we watch a movie on-line (while eating) - or we sit mesmerized as Ezra makes origami things.   Right now, he's got a 'peace crane' he made hanging from the ceiling.  He's also make an entire chess set, several 3D shapes and animals, viking's hats, and other creatures we're still not sure what they are.  Yes, he has a book, but most of the stuff he's just made up himself.  That's just freaky.  But it's fun.
Hey, when the weather's like this and you can't go play outside - you have to be creative.

Well, the heavy snow is starting to come down.  And I can barely see the trees in front of my house.  The roads are drifting over and even the cats are hiding.  Rats.  I wish India had called in sick or something.
 Um, Aunt Betty - about those worry beads . . .

1 comment:

  1. This year wasn't too tough for us...but we've had several in recent history that we were so glad to see end. Sorry for the loss of your sister. My youngest brother died almost seven years ago and it still seems like yesterday.
    I hope 2011 is a great year for you all!

    ReplyDelete