Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Another teenager in the house . . .

Well, my number 2 son just turned 13.  AAAHHH!  No, actually, that's a good thing.  He's healthy, energetic and fun.  He's got a infectious smile, he lives life to the fullest - just wanting to DO everything, and can not stand to be idle.  Sometimes I wish he would just calm down, but then he wouldn't be who God made him to be.  He had his favorite meal of tacos and his sister made him this carob layer cake with this creamy frosting that was scrumptious.  Waaaayyyy too fattening, and sweet, but what the heck.  A guy only turns 13 once - right?  13!    I can hardly believe it.   For crying out loud.  What happened to the years?

So, in an attempt to work off all that fat and sugar from the cake, I went to my first ever Zumba party!   Zumba - it's kind of Latin - Salsa - Hip Hopish - Jazzy dancing.  The newest workout craze.  And the place was packed - all three gyms in the Y.  Lights, balloons, food, drink, door prizes . . . It was crazy.  And what was even crazier - the ages of the people.  All the way from 6 to 60 plus.  Cool.  And while it was a sustained work out and sometimes quite slow, it was fun.  And even though I'm not sure my body was actually designed to move that way, I'd go again I think.  Just for something different.  

The last couple weeks it has been soooo windy.  Too windy to be up on a two story very steep roof shingling.    We've decided to call in the reserves and bid the job out.  The mom in me is happy.  Noah walks around like a cat up there.  No fear.  Ez is a bit more cautious, and Judah, well, I just won't allow that.  They are going to replace the sidewalk next.  Much safer - that.

Well, on a much somber note, I ran into an old friend yesterday and come to find out - she has Marfans.  Now, it's not a well know syndrome, but it affects the heart and is potentially deadly.  I know, because my sister just died from it last February.  She was young - too young - and had gone through 3 heart surgeries and one brain surgery.  And the very weird thing is - both my sister and my friend have the same name.  My friend is a wonderful woman and I feel so bad for her.  I do know, that there are many people living long and well with Marfans, and I pray that will be so for my friend as well.  She looks good and is in good spirits, trusting in God to see her through.  And well, that's more than enough.

And on another melancholy note - my friends in Israel paint such a different picture of life there than what is portrayed in the media.  They know, not only because they live there and experience it (ie: fleeing to a bomb shelter while grocery shopping), but because their oldest son is in the IDF Israeli Defense Force and tells the tales as he travels on patrol. The entire country is being bombed and attacked on a regular basis and as soon as they finally can't take the killing any more and decide to fight back, the world criticizes them.  Ms. Hillary is being wined and dined while 'Rome burns' essentially. (mmm - kind of like another modern leader we all know)  Peace talks.  What a joke.  The other side does not want peace, they want land.  All of the land.  And they will not ever be satisfied until they get it.  Meanwhile, they keep attacking, people keep dying and Israel keeps turning the other cheek. Woe unto US if we turn our backs and our support.   I pray for my friends and all the Israelis, for their safety and their courage and faith.  And I hope you'll do the same.

Okay!  Enough with that.  Whew.  I do hope you are having a great week.  Count your many blessings.  We still live in the greatest country on earth and we enjoy freedoms and safety no other has.  Be grateful and thank God for his sustained mercy.  Hug your kids, kiss your spouse and praise God for the many gifts we live with each day.  It can be a good day, if we choose to see it so.  :)

jill and all  

No comments:

Post a Comment