Sunday, October 24, 2010

Swim like a fish - or a salamander . . .

First swim meet of the winter and the boys were incredible!  Judah made state time in the 50 back by 2 seconds and crushing his old time!  He's close in a couple other races as well, so he should have a good season.  Since Ez had a birthday, he's now in a higher age bracket and the times are quicker.  Even so, he got within one tenth of a second in the 50 free and he shaved time in a couple other races too.  So, yeah for them!

Well, it's official.  The nice weather is over.  Should have stayed outdoors the whole day on Friday just to soak up the sun.  We won't be seeing it now, till, well, probably May.  Or June.  If then.  Not that I'm cynical or anything.  :)  The rain has come and we may even see snow on Wednesday.  Yuck.  I know, it's October and I should be expecting it, but to tell the truth, I'm never really ready for it.  California here I come!!  I wish.

I was thinking this cold weather would slow down the influx of salamanders into our basement.   Oh, just go with me here.  We have a house that's over 100 years old, the basement is not remotely finished, we have 2 sump pumps just to get rid of the water that rises up like lava, and so, along with it comes the critters.   It's something I just choose to ignore.  Most of the time.
I told him, just get rid of them!  He says, they'll just come back.  I said, Not if they're dead!!!
Come on, don't they hibernate or something?  Migrate to say, Oklahoma for the winter?  It's not like there's any food to eat or dirt for them to burrow in down there.  The floor is concrete.  I spose they just sneak in through the sump hole and can't find their way back out.   And they creak.  Yes. Creak. Or chirp, like a cricket, only in a lower tone, more sinister sounding that lasts for several seconds.  It's downright creepy.
So that's why I never - ever - EVER go down there.  Seriously.  Are you kidding me?  NO WAY.
I say, that's what boys are for.  Right?   You know, to take care of all that - stuff.  Mice, snakes, stopped up toilets, taking out the garbage, tripped electrical breakers and - well - salamanders in your basement.   Yes, the male species is good for something.  (Just kidding.  I do Thank God for them every day.  Really.  Even when they do leave the toilet seat up and their dirty clothes on the floor.  In exchange for the rest of that mentioned above - I'd say we're even.)

So today, on a Hebrew holiday, I'm serving Mexican casserole.   ?  Oh, why not?  Maybe tomorrow I'll make falafels or something.  Well, India will.  That - besides all goodies baked and sweet - is her specialty.    Anyway, what else can you do when it's 40 degrees and raining?  Watch highlights of football and reruns of PSYCH on your laptop.  Or do laundry.  Or clean.  Or pay bills.  Or re-arrange the closet.  Or eat.
 Yeah - I think I'll go with the eating.

 Shalom and have a Buenos Fiesta!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment