Thursday, October 7, 2010

E=MC squared . . .

So, today must be the bragging up boys day.  Yesterday I took Ez to a Mathcounts competition and he got FIRST PLACE!!  Out of about 75 entrants.  I was so proud of him.  He also would have placed either first in the team category, but since he is a one-man team (entering as an individual homeschooler), his scores did not count for the team event.  The rules state you must have 4 people to make up a team.  But they let him take the test anyway, just for fun.  Oh well.  No matter.  He did so well and I couldn't be happier!  Wahooo Ez!

Have you ever had sweet potatoe fries?  Or baked potatoe fries?  Well, here's what you do:  Peel and slice the sweet potatoes, and top with a smattering of oil and a bit of salt and mix.  Then, place them on a baking dish.  They do not have to be neatly arranged in the pan, just throw them in.  Bake at 375 for at least an hour and a half.  You want them really done.  And if you want them even more crispy, turn it to 400 and bake a bit longer.  I kind of like them mushy myself.  Eat as is.  If you love sweet potatoes, you'll really love these, and if you think you hate them, you may find you like these, just cause they are so different.

The regular potatoes you wash, slice into wedges, top with oil, salt, maybe a bit of onion and garlic pwd and paprika and even a dash of cayenne, if you're feeling daring.  Bake at 375 for an hour or so, testing to see if they are done in the middle.  Serve with goop.

What is 'goop' you ask?  Well, it's mayo, ketchup and mustard, but the ratio is crucial.  Mostly mayo, a bit of ketchup and little bit less of mustard.  It's not an exact science, but too much of one and it can be horrible.  We use a vegan mayo, but I grew up using Miracle Whip.  I can't imagine regular mayo, but then, I'm just used to what I'm used to.   Use what you like.
Anyway, try it and let me know what you think.  It has a BILLION times less  fat and is so much healthier for you than french fries or potatoe chips.   So, ENJOY!!

Well, that's my Rachel Ray entry for the day.   :)

And just to let you know, I put the 'e' on the end of potatoe for all the Dan Quayle fans out there!

Later.

jill and all

No comments:

Post a Comment